Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The phaaaaaaaaantom of the opera is heeeeere... in my miiiiiind.

Today I got to see -and meet- the Phantom of the Opera in London, at Her Majesty's Theatre. And it was quite magical. Thanks to connections I had a pretty good seat at the Royal Circle, with a good view of the stage. The Phantom was played by the first understudy, Mr. Nic Greenshields, who is quite tall and has a great, strong voice.

I've never seen the movie or the show, so I didn't really know what to expect when it started with an auction, years after the events of the play. But once they plugged in the great chandelier and hoisted it up, and the music started (you know the one, quoted in the subject line), my face went something like 8O and stayed that way. Especially when it came down again, and when the candles in the cave came up from the floor. During the masquerade scene, when the Phantom reveals himself, he looked just like the dead pirate guy from the Monkey Island games. Heh.

The stage, the dresses, the songs, all wonderful. I'm still a bit high on the experience so don't know what else to really say except wow. X) There was a lady from New Zealand sitting next to me, and during intermission we talked a little, and she said she had just been in Paris to see the opera house the theatre and the stage were made to look like, and apparently they look exactly the same.

Bought the soundtrack. As soon as I transfer it to my computer, that song is going on my phone as a ringtone. ^^

The show started at 2:30 and ended just after five, but the time just flew by. Like I said, I got to meet the Phantom himself, and the lady who does the makeup for the show. He was already without his wig and in a dressing gown, so not so ... intimidating as I would have thought. Would have been cool to see him up close in all the makeup. It looked very good from where I was sitting, but it was too far to see details. They were quite busy so I was ushered to the back door of the theatre after about five minutes, and I made my way through the throng of fans out to Haymarket, with a silly smile on my face.

Had a big scare, though, once I got into the tube and towards Paddington station to head back here, since I couldn't find my wallet in my bag. Paskahalvaus, as we'd say in Finnish. So I got out at the next stop and rushed to the train heading back towards Piccadilly circus, fearing that all my money, my driver's license and credit card were all gone for good.

Then I checked the inside pocket of my bag, where I ALWAYS keep my wallet. And there it was now, as well, of course. Feeling very, very stupid, I headed back to the other side of the station and traveled to Paddington.

About 38 and half hours to go before I leave here, so it's most likely my next transmission will be from Finland. ^^ I realized on my way back here that I will miss my bosses. I won't miss the 10-14 hour long days, but I imagine it will be odd to be back home again. With no real plan on what to do next. Quite exciting as well.

Ta ta for now! =)

3 comments:

nowkku said...

On se kyllä mahtan olla hieeeeno kokemus ^^ Mie kyl vähä muistelisin, että olisin pakottan siut kattoo Phantomin leffana joskus. VOin kyl olla väärässäkii X)

Kashii said...

Ehittii kattoo vaan eka puol tuntii tai jotaan =D Että et muista väärin. ^^

nowkku said...

Olin siis vaa puolittain oikeessa X) Miks meilt jäi kesken se :L